Friday 28 March 2008

Work is haunting me!!

Not long ago, as soon as I shut down my laptop at work, my brain would switch automatically from work mode to relax mode. Within the few minutes that it took to walk to my car, I would have forgotten about work that day, my clients, my colleagues and the office gossip.

But these days, thoughts of work stay on my mind constantly. When I’m driving to work, when I drive back from work, during commercial breaks on TV … I try to shake of these thoughts but after a while they come back again. It’s not like I’m actually doing any work after office hours and it’s not even that I’m thinking of any solutions to problems.

So what is it that I’m thinking about? Well, I just found out recently myself, when I stopped to think why I was thinking about work. I was thinking and wondering: “What the hell does my boss want from me? How do I understand what his expectations are?” He wants me to exceed his expectations, but he can’t even tell me properly what his expectations are for me to meet them in the first place. The experts have all given this stage in life a pretty name: “Quarter-Life Crisis”, but it doesn’t make it any less confusing!

People say, if you don’t understand, ask. Well believe me, I have and still am. But I’m nowhere near understanding what he wants than before I asked. Maybe I’m not asking the right questions to get the right answers. So I keep thinking of different ways to ask a question to get a light-bulb moment answer. At the moment it seems to me, all his answers are in some secret coded language that I have to decode.

Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me (Am I so dense? Is my EQ that low?) but the others here assured me that my boss does speak in codes. They say, the longer I work here, the better I will become at decoding and understanding what he expects from me. I guess that will happen later rather than sooner.


By : Anya

No comments: