Tuesday 25 March 2008

Cheated Death

I’ve never come so close to death as I did last Sunday evening. It was a normal day. Well it was actually a happy day because I was spending the day with my boyfriend. We had a good lunch and then headed over to Low Yat Plaza because he needed to buy an external hard drive.

When we came out of Low Yat it was already getting dark and we were having an affectionate squabble about what to have for dinner. Hand in hand we started walking to Lot 10 where our car was. As we reached Sungai Wang Plaza, we checked for traffic on the right, the road was clear and so we crossed and stood on the divider. At this point, I can’t remember what we were talking about but I remember we were laughing about something as we checked for traffic on the left and since it was clear, started crossing.

We had hardly taken two steps on the road when, from the right, there came a blaring car horn. I clutched at him as we both jumped back unto the divider. The speeding car swerved past us, barely missing us by a few inches. More cars followed that first car, all coming from the right.
We stood on the divider, hearts thumbing loudly. My legs were shaking like jelly. We had just escaped death by a few inches, a few seconds because we were careless. We totally forgot that the roads between Sungai Wang Plaza and Lot10 were all one way.


We had forgotten the basic rules of crossing roads – left, right, left. If My-Friend-In-High-Places had not been looking out for us, I dare not imagine what would have happened. I learnt an important lesson; when it comes to safety, never assume – it makes an ass out of u n me.

By: Anya

No comments: