Thursday 9 October 2008

A weird incident...

Recently I attended a function, quite a holy one. There was this small incident that caught my eyee and made me think. So I decided to write about it and get it out of my head. At least it would be different than the usual ramblings ;p

Anyway, this function was conducted by a group of people (i really don't know what are they called, will describe later) who run sort of a charity home.. This group of people, they only wear white clothes, they do not eat meat, they do lot of charity in the aim to bring the public closer to god; They are the people, who sort of have sacrificed their life in the name of god, charity, etc. And this group is led by a 'Guru' who is believed to be very special. Wiki says, A guru is a person who is regarded as having great knowledge, wisdom and authority in a certain area, and uses it to guide others. literally a preceptor who shows others knowledge (light) and destroys ignorance (darkness).

I have nothing against them or what so ever. What they are doing is indeed very honorable, respectable and something I would never ever be able to do. But somehow or rather, due to my own beliefs, I have never been their fan.

Anyway, so in the function, they did some performance, its called Bhajan actually. A Bhajan is a type of Hindu devotional song, often simple, lyrical and expressing love for the Divine. I do like bhajans. So they performed and the lead singer was the 'guru'.

During this, there was this small technical issue that caught my eyes. The microphone stand was placed not close enough to her, hence her voice wasn't very clear. So the immediate reaction of her shishya, her colleague, simply another member of the group who was next to her, took the microphone out from the stand and held it close to the guru's mouth. (ok now, do some exercise.. imagine a person is standing right next to you, shoulder by shoulder.. grab a mineral water bottle perhaps and raise your hand to your side.. try n see if you can even last a minute without feeling an inch of pain) Btw, this bhajan is for one hour long!

And I think, it wont take a scientist to guess this: One look at it, I know it would hurt. Terribly. If I was the singer, my immediate reaction, without thinking a second, would be to grab the microphone and hold it myself. Even if I am the King of a country, I really believe that is what I would do. Or at least, I would offer to do it. Initiate. Try.

But to my amazement, this so called 'guru', didn't move an inch. She didn't bother to ask, try or anything at all. She continued singing happily, as if nothing else in the world matters.

Maybe you think I am exaggerating, amplifying or being ridiculous over a tiny thing. But seriously. She is a 'Guru', who is believed to have special powers and has seen the light of divine, who has sacrificed her life for charity, but she don't even care a bit for her own group member; didn't have the courtesy to think, it would hurt him. (I watched her closely every second, not even once she initiated) And she's suppose to be saving the world?

I don't mean to be proud of myself or anything. But I think I should be proud that I have better morality than her. I would rather feed a poor child in front of my eyes than to be preaching about world peace and poverty.

At the end of the function, everyone who attended, including my mom, queued up to get her blessings. I headed straight to the place where they were serving FOOD! :)

By: 'lilo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done!!!!