Wednesday 30 April 2008

Reflections

I never thought that I would say this but life is so peaceful without a mobile phone !
Well I do have a mobile phone but I have to use a local SIM card and the network sucks, so hardly anyone calls and practically no one texts. My Malaysian number is useless here, so that phone is buried under some clothes in my suitcase. The phone that I have now, sometimes I forget where I even put it. I do miss getting calls and messages from *important* people but most of the time I get unnecessary ones anyway - the ones that when I see their caller ID, I go "Shit!Leave me alone!"- but they're also the calls I have to answer. On top of that I used to have to constantly check if anyone had called or left a message - it was like a compulsive obsessive addiction that I had, to check my mobile phone every two minutes or so. I was like an addict going through the withdrawal syndrom the first few days without a proper phone line, but now I'm at peace.

Life is also upsidedown right now cause everyone drives on the 'wrong' side of the road! I still can't figure out which way to look when I cross the road so I just look both ways. The weirdest thing about driving on the wrong side for me is making U-Turns! It's actually not any weirder than all the other 'wrong' side driving like the gear box is on the right and the indicators and wiper sticks are mixed up but the 'wrong' side U-Turn just emphasizes how 'wrong' the driving is! Now, does that make sense? Probably not :)

Oh and how I miss Malaysian dining! It's not just the food - the food is only part of it. It's the whole package of driving out at odd hours to an open air mamak stall and having roti kosong or maggi goreng (with rats running near the drain or it starts to rain and you have to carry all your food into the shop).. oh yummy ! I'm not complaining about the food here because it's good Western and local food, but a Malaysian will always be a Malaysian. When people here ask me about Malaysia, the first thing I tell them about is the food. And they give me a funny look and say, "That much food, but you're not fat". And I tell them it's the beauty of Malaysian food :)

By : Anya

No comments: