Tuesday 20 May 2008

Un Mes (One Month)

As I was sitting down to lunch today, it just hit me that exactly one month ago, it was my first day in Honduras and I was at this same restaurant for lunch. One month ago, I had not the slightest clue what was written in the menu because everything was Spanish. I remember just telling my colleague to order anything for me. But one month later, today, I looked at the menu with comprehending eyes and ordered Crepe Camaron con Salsa Jalapeno (Shrimp Crepes with Jalapeno Sauce) and Limonada con Agua (Lemonade) with such easiness that my Spanish speaking colleagues all grinned their appreciation at me. What a difference one short month as made!

One month ago, I never considered myself as a young lady, much less a lady. I was still stuck somewhere inbetween girlhood and womanhood (sounds familiar? think Britney Spears "I'm not a girl, not yet a woman"). But one month later, I realise that I've started thinking of myself as a young lady. I guess being around guys who act like gentlemen (well, most of the time anyway - guys will still always be guys) has been me see myself as how they see me; not a little girl but a capable, independent young lady.

One month ago, I would have never imagined that I would one day visit the ruins of the great Mayan civilization. I can't remember the countless times I've watched documentaries on the Mayans or read articles on them but didn't even dare to imagine I would get to see their legacy. One month later, I've touched, stood on, sat on, walked through, walked on, the stones that the people of this mysterious, great civilization laid down thousands of years ago.

One month ago, I would have said how much I love traveling. One month later, I still say I love traveling - the experience of doing normal everyday things like having lunch in a totaly new country, it's sheer pleassure. But I still do miss home - nothing like Malaysian food- my friends and most definitely my boyfriend. So I'm looking forward to going home, to chilling in a mamak, having Milo Ice and Nasi Lemak with the people that matter most to me.

~Anya~

No comments: