Monday 12 May 2008

Evolution..

In life we evolve. I saw a significant one in my life recently.

Interviews - I so hate them. It makes me sweat a bucket and I become a total nerve-wreck.

I have attended many. And I have had my share of attending very unpleasant ones. I have had people shouting at me. I have had people who laughed at my stupidity. I have had tongue-tied moments. I have had brain-shutdown moments. I have attended some that made me yawn. Some that totally pissed me off. From walk-in to 3rd interviews, I have attended them all. All I could remember is how much I dreaded going for these interviews. I would have to prepare a day ahead reading the-most-asked-interview questions. Wearing my defined interview clothes; always reaching at least an hour earlier for the interview. Although I lost count on how many interviews I would have attended in my unemployment period, thank god it did come to an end. I got myself a job.

Then the process evolved. I had a job but unsatisfied. Hence I was looking for another. Of course that required me to attend interviews again. But this time around, it was pretty different. I was no longer concerned about wearing the best looking clothes. (I attended one all soaking wet cos of rain); I lost the article on the-most-asked interview questions. And I was always rushing at the last minute because my interviews were scheduled after work. I got over my tongue-tied moments and asked lots of questions. In fact more than they asked me. I even managed to give them back the why-are-you-wasting-my-time look. Haha, that was a pure satisfaction. And yeah, eventually I found another job.

And the process evolved again. This time around, I have a job, satisfied and I am also hiring now. Yeah! Lately I have been interviewing candidates to be my junior. Maybe, it’s not anything great for others. But it is for me. I am sure my friends who have heard my never ending complains about interviews would understand. I must say, my 1st interview session, (interviewing someone who has more experience than me and he is so much elder than me) was nerve-wrecking. I was probably sweating more than he was. But somehow, deep inside my heart, I had a smile.

A smile of achievement.


By: ‘lilo

No comments: