Thursday 22 May 2008

2 fast and 2 furious no more ??

I and my sister travel almost 50kms to work and fro (so, total of 100km in a day) each working day...

It's not like our house is not located centrally enough, in fact it is very near the 'heart' of KL if KLCC is defined truly as the 'heart' of KL. With the LRT (Light Rail Transit), it takes about 15 minutes to KLCC and a drive takes 10 minutes when there is no traffic jam.

On a good day (read: no traffic), i can even reach Bangsar within 20 minutes.. And i have done this many times coz IM ALWAYS LATE for ANY appointments i make.. Hehe..

So anyway, back to the 'Journey to Work':

Speeding, cutting lanes, driving on the emergency lane, flashing headlight to F*cking Slow-Couches-in-front-of-us, are areas of expertise for me and my sister these days.

1.5 years driving to the god-forsaken land called Cyberjaya, we KNOW that SPEED is everything.. ;-)

A year ago, we used to leave home before 7am just so that we can avoid the legendary
MRRII (Middle Ring Road Two) traffic jam. I had just started working at LHD then... I remember i used to be one of the earliest of the lot in my floor.

Fast forward to a year and half later, (more precisely after i came back from Prague), i started waking up really late, at 7.15 AM when my mum comes up to wake us up before she goes for her morning
Tai-Chi.

My sister, the more disciplined one, will immediately jump out of the bed and start preparing for bath etc. And what do i do? I struggle to hold on to the last few bits of my un-finished dream (if there were any) or pretend that it is still to early to wake up. Not that any of those are successful coz once you're woken, there is not turning back :( And so, it takes another shout from my mum or my sister, for me to grudgingly wake up.

So anyway, the pattern has clearly changed and we are now always leaving home at 8.30 AM or 8.20 AM.

The good news is, most of the jam on the early stretch of the MRRII has already been cleared off and the rest of the jam is the usual hot spots and bottleneck areas which a jam cannot be avoided.

This is when our 'skills' come in handy... A quick overtake here, and a quick switch to the emergency lane, and we are constantly moving as opposed to the almost standstill traffic on the other lanes.. Haha.. So long suckers! :P

And once we reach Putrajaya, that's when the odometer goes up to 120km/h - 140km/h. (I once clocked 165km/h in another new highway in Putrajaya: my best record so far :D)

Now the surprising part is this, we have been doing this consistently for the past 1.5 years, and we are so 'blessed' that we have not gotten the ticket yet :D

But last Sunday, for the first time ever, my sister's 1.5 year old car got it's first ticket when she was doing a 110km/h in 80km/h zone, while racing to be on time for her friend's IKEA shopping appointment. She is still dreading when my dad finds out about it.. :-S

And today morning as i was driving alone to work in my mum's car, driving 100 km/h (coz my mum's car is freakin slow!) on the far right lane, i suddenly started to brake bit by bit coz i saw 2 traffic policemen setting up a speed camera on the bushes. One of the policeman actually looked up as i was zooming by and we had an eye to eye contact for a split second.

He had on his face, this sort of smirk that said, "your speeding days are so over". Instinctively after the brief eye contact, i started slowing down... And cursing the damn policemen coz my days of speeding in "Putrajaya-very-empty-roads-suitable-for-speeding" are nearing to an end... sob, sob :(

Don't get me wrong btw. It is not my intention to encourage everyone to speed by writing this article. I know it is very very wrong. Heck, Malaysia is so famous for road accidents and i have seen my share of nasty ones especially in Putrajaya and Cyberjaya where everyone speeds.

Here's the thing, i know speeding, cutting lanes etc is bad, but because my workplace is so freaking far, i can't help but to try minimize the time i spend on the road. Isn't that everyone's goal too?

Every morning, before we leave to work, i know my mum says a little prayer as we wave our 'bye bye' to her and Casper. And every morning, we pass by the little
Gurdwara on the way and fold our hands together and bow regardless when we are driving or being the passenger. I guess that's one protection method we take every day and are blessed for (well, sort of) :)

P/s: I know God can't be protecting us forever, so i pledge to start driving more responsibly from today onwards.. :D

- the very solemn Margie

1 comment:

Pink Scalers said...

What a sad day for Margie! But then, better safe and sad than sorry ;) - Anya