Friday 23 May 2008

Career Crossroad

Arghhhhhhhhh

I never thought it will be this hard!!!

Yesterday, as per my previous blog entry.. i got first-hand talk on what is going to happen in my department and the organization next week from a very senior and a dear colleague of mine.

Basically i got offered a new role in a new team (to be formed next week) with a new boss (who is the nicest boss i've known and respect greatly).

All exciting right? Wrong!!

That's cos as of March 2008, i have already decided once and for all (or so i thought) that i will leave LHD and i started applying.. And although i still have a looong list of companies i have yet to apply, i did managed to secure 2 companies interested in hiring me over the past month. Nothing great but better than nothing lah :)

So anyway, on Monday this week, i turn down one offer coz i was eagerly waiting another offer which i thought will be offered to me in 2-3 weeks IF im successful.

And today, just before lunch time, i get a call from that place offering me. The even dangled the "team lead" role in front of me, though the package is good overall but i think we can work on that.. ;-) But i had to be honest with them and i told them about my current situation at work, my future role and future team change and possibly another raise..

The guy was nice enough to tell me they can work on the package still.. (yet another carrot) :P

And then just as i was back from lunch, the manager approaches me again to have a chat.. He tells me more details. And then he says, my allowance, my raise etc can be fixed within a matter of days once the official announcement is out next week.

Since this was my mentor-friend, i told him some parts about my offer just hours before.. We had a looong talk and in the end he says "You need to do wishful thinking over the weekend".
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He is right, i shouldn't be swayed by 'carrots dangled' but at the same time, im not even sure if im ready to lead people! I am ambitious and i tend to want things fast but how fast is good enough??

By Wednesday, i need to give my answer to the other company and by Tuesday to my current workplace..

I never thought i'll come to my very own 'major career crossroad' such as what im facing today... :( i am so at a loss..

Oh the pains of growing up!! Arrgh..

Going Mad,
Margie

4 comments:

Pink Scalers said...

hey gal, the 'team lead' carrot is a big, juicy one. If fear and doubt is the only thing that's stopping you - don't let it stop you and grab that carrot! :) Until you commit to something, you won't know your potential - Anya

Pink Scalers said...

thanks babe! that's just the kind of motivation i need. :D

i just hit "Send" to my mail to my future employer regarding the package negotiation. :-S

See lah what happens.. Either way, i guess i have readied myself to accept the outcome :-S

-Cheers, Margie

Pink Scalers said...

hey babe,
Gud to hear tat u've hit d
Send button.. Im sure u gonna rock on tis new job, just lk u always do :)

Cheers,
'Lilo on mobile :)

Pink Scalers said...

haha.. thanks Lilo on mobile ;-)
- Margie