Wednesday 10 June 2009

Wedding Plans - So far so good!

As a kid, you always think your parents are the smartest, brightest, most bravest people on earth. And that kinda stays with you until the realities of adulthood rudely slaps you in the face. And than you realise, that they're only human - just like you.

It's now our 6th month of wedding planning and so far, we've been handling every aspect of it - sourcing for quotations, negotiating prices, paying deposits, etc. At first our parents were surprised that we were doing it on our own and dropped a few pointed comments about wanting to be involved. Well, it was never our intention to exclude our parents from the preparation and invite them to the wedding as guests - after all, they're paying for more than half the cost! But instead of relinquishing all the work to them, I thought I'd just give them a little taste of what wedding planning is to see if they'd like it.

So I assigned my mum to a couple of things. Small stuff. She tried her best. But very soon she realised it's so much better giving opinions and getting updates from us than actually getting her hands dirty. I really don't blame her!

I called my future mum-in-law to ask about the estimated number of guests from their side. I felt bad almost immediately! Because she sounded so flustered about how it's so difficult for people to RSVP. I couldn't agree more!

As for dads...do they really want to know if the flowers should be white or cream? Or if the wedding cards should have heart shapes in the front or wedding rings? We'll figure out some manly tasks for them soon, I'm sure.

When this whole wedding planning process started, I thought our parents would be the ones leading the way, making decisions and taking actions. Instead I find that they seem rather pleased that we're making life easier for them and see everything falling into place. I guess I have to admit that I'm secretly happy too with the way things worked out. This way there isn't a contest of wills from both sides of the families over every single minute detail.

I'm now looking forward to the best part of wedding planning - shopping!!!

-Bride to be Anya-

No comments: