Saturday 9 May 2009

Old Folk's Home

Saturday night and I'm home watching Last Comic Standing, laughing to myself, and surfing the net.

No wonder my younger brother thinks I'm old!

He's six years younger to me and at that age where going to bed at 10pm on a weekend is horrifying; being at home on a Friday and Saturday night - a death sentence.

Earlier today I had coffee with a friend I haven't seen since graduation, three years ago. His girlfriend came along too. And ~~sigh~~, did she make me feel old! We're the same age but she's just finished her masters and has just started her first job. She was all perky and fresh. She reminded me a little of me, three years ago.

In comparison, the me now is cynical and tired. Three years in the corporate world has made me wary of people's motives for being nice. There's no such thing as a free lunch and the world doesn't owe me anything. At first it was a total culture shock to be thrown into the bitchy environment of corporate politics, hence our moanings about 'quarter life crisis'. In time, I've learnt to navigate my way around it, but it drains at my strength.

This quote I came across describs my state of life perfectly:

The great challenge of adulthood is holding on to your idealism after you lose your innocence - Bruce Springsteen

-Anya-

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ishk, ishk... y must u make us sound so old?? :p :p

-lilo

Anonymous said...

coz she is :D

we aren't :D

-N.e.m.o

Anonymous said...

ooh... no wonder she's gettin married!! hahaha...

-lilo

Anonymous said...

haha ... nothing to do with tat ok ;p and lilo, don't perasan tat u're young.. nemo - u got abt a month left;p -Anya-

Anonymous said...

What has turning to a certain age (unless its 40s, 50s) gotta do with being old or young? :D

It's the state of mind dear.. me no old :D me young, young! :D *jumps, toing, toing*

-N.e.m.o