Tuesday 15 May 2012

What a pain in the neck!

Exactly on 21st April, i had a sudden bruise like pain on the left side of my neck. The exact area would be somewhere between the back of my ears and neck.

At first i didn't thought much of it and continued my usual routine.
I tried to feel it but there wasn't a bulge nor a bruise on the pain area.

By Monday, i was in terrible pain by the time i got home from work. Driving back was torturous and i was left with lopsided shoulders and lost the ability to turn my head either side.

So anyway, i have been on physiotherapy over 9 sessions and 4 weeks so far and been sporting a neck collar (loaned from my sister who had vertigo 2 years back).

My condition has been properly diagnosed as Sternocleidomastoid (SCM) spasm and it inflamed due to that. I must say wearing the collar has resulted to a variety of interesting conversations from various walks of life.

Here are some of my favorites moments being in a collar:

1. How everyone exclaims like they are in pain when they see me in the collar and scrunching their faces

2. Random strangers strike up random conversations and start inquiring about my well-being, suggest helpful remedies/doctors/treatment procedures

3. Being able to work from home way more often *joy*

4. Being able to stretch out at my desk, pump my shoulders up and down and not worrying about how retard i look like

5. Getting visitors to my desk and receiving more goss in the process *yea, i'm a girl and i goss. so sue me*

6. Being chauffeured around  *glee*

7. Using neck collar as an excuse not to attend certain functions (convenient and totally valid ok!)

8. Receiving the attention of various students, physiotherapists and interns

9. Being free from house chores *double joy*

10. Coming up with different responses each time someone inquires why it happened. My current favorite answer these days: "oh, you know, I've been naughty :P". Sometimes that's all people wanna hear *shrug*

11. Being spotted by Russell Peters on his show (right!)


So i say, to all those lonely + depressed people out there, the only accessory you will need is a neck collar TM and you are well on your way to joy and attention like you've never received before.

*Disclaimer: Applies to cane, eye patch, arm cast, leg cast too

This entry wouldn't be complete if i don't list out the not-so favorite part about being in this condition:

1. Very low productivity - and when i mean low, i mean, low at work, low on Facebook (and yes, i haven't gotten around to uploading the albums i need to!)

2. Relying on speaker phone functionality (NEVER gonna take it for granted again)

3. Getting asked why it occurred like a zillion times daily

4. Not being able to find the right sleeping position without incurring more pain

5. Exposing my back and bra straps to random strangers for treatment *shy*

6. Not being able to go to the hair salon :(

There's a new meaning to pain in the neck as I've learnt it the hard way. One can hope however, that wearing the collar for 14 hours a day will result in an elegant long neck :P

p/s: friend of mine asking me 'how you main since you wearing this?'(. .!!)

Signing out,
N.e.m.o

4 comments:

Lilo said...

LOL, that was funny! And the pic is too cute! :)

N.e.m.o said...

u took it :P

Anya said...

hehehe...u look super cute with the colar ;) like casper.. hehe

N.e.m.o said...

Aww thank you... for saying Casper is cute ! :D