Friday 28 October 2011

La-dee-dum...

The Deepavali festivities this year came with a barrage of attention from inquisitive and excited relatives about my growing belly. While I totally appreciate everyone's excitement about the arrival of their first niece/nephew/grandchild/great-grandchild, I was feeling very uncomfortable about all the extra attention. I cringed inside everytime my dad announced to everyone within hearing distance, "Can you see her tummy!!" and when everyone eyes or hands went straight to my tummy followed by comments like, "You're so small!" or "Why are you so thin?". I seriously felt like I should have given a fake pregnancy-related excuse and stayed home yet I felt really selfish for feeling that way.

So I've been feeling pretty down the last couple of days - fighting between what I'm feeling versus what I'm telling myself I should feel.

Today I came across this in babycenter.com that totally made me feel better to know that I'm not alone!

At this point, you may find your belly becoming a hand magnet. It's perfectly okay to tell folks who touch your tummy that you'd rather they didn't. And if people are telling you that you look smaller or bigger than you should at this point, remember that each woman grows — and shows — at her own rate. What's important is that you see your practitioner for regular visits so she can make sure your baby's growth is on track.

Although I don't think I can bring myself to tell friends and relatives who are happy for me to not touch my belly (hey, how would you like people just randomly coming up to you and touching you and judging your body?), I can tell them very firmly that small tummy or not, my baby and me are healthy and we're both growing at a healthy rate so far.

Now I just have to get through Christmas .....

~Anya~

3 comments:

Lilo said...

omg anya.. it will never end, will it? people always have something to say..
btw fyi, u still look hot with that bump :) screw all of them :p

Anya said...

Yes babe, looks like it will never end! So don't get married too fast.. haha ...Thanks for the support ;)

Patsy Chong said...

Hahah... Sorry... I believe I was among of the aforementioned annoying relatives. But like you said, we're all just so excited and happy for you.