Monday 30 March 2009

Yindians!

There are many things in my life, that I am not very grateful about... But there’s one thing that I am really, truly, sincerely very grateful for… the fact that I am not born as an “Indian” or at least not anywhere in India… Although we are known as “Indians” here in Malaysia and treated like second class citizen at times or so they claim, honestly I’m proud to be a Malaysian and have never personally experienced any act of racism... and I also have absolutely nothing against the country, India or even Indians for that matter...

I am just extremely grateful today, because:

1. I don’t move my head 180 degrees to the right and left, when I speak!

2. I don’t argue over nonsense for hours trying to proof a point that doesn’t exist.

3. I don’t yell over the phone the further the distance I am calling

4. I don’t pronounce words with an added “Y” like for example, I don’t say I yem for I am.. or Yindian for Indian, and yeloprate for elaborate!

5. I don’t have an accent that no matter which part of the world I go, there would be someone who can imitate me just like that...

6. My grandparents were smart enough to run away from India, or stupid enough that they were pulled out from their own country. Whichever that is, it doesn’t matter, I am just glad it happened.


By: extremely annoyed ‘Lilo

4 comments:

A Proud Indian! said...

Sigh! refugees what can i say!

Anonymous said...

proud to be a refugee...

-lilo

Anonymous said...

1) Indians usually move their head while talking as a sign of approval or disapproval with your comments,they're very expressive in that way..
2)U dont need an Indian to argue for hours over nothing,just sit in a circle with a bunch of guys over a drink.
3)u obviously havent heard Chinese ppl speak,and its not even over the phone.
4)Since when do we start criticising ppl because of the country and accent they were born into.The "la" behind every sentence is definitely not in the english vocabulary.
5)our ancestors might have run away or been chased out from India,but the truth remains that without "Yindians" we wouldnt have an identity nor culture as we M'sian indians are known for today.

Anonymous said...

thank u for d comment.. appreciate your thoughts.. with all due to respect to India and Indians, I have absolutely nothing against them.. I'm just grateful for what I am today :)

-lilo