Wednesday 4 June 2008

For Real or Fake?

Did I mention that the hotel I'm staying at now serves a weird buffet breakfast? It's a cross between western and local Jamaican food and somehow the result is just plain weird. But anyway, that's beside the point. What I really want to tell you about is what happened during breakfast this morning.

A French guy asked me out for dinner!

Ok, ok, I shouldn't get ahead of myself. So there I was, minding my own business, having my mandatory morning cup of coffee (there is no life before coffee. period.), when this guy walks up to my table and asks if he could sit with me. I gave him a blank stare, half my mind wondering if I've met him before and the other half wondering if he's a sales person. So he asked me again. This time I declined saying I was about to leave to work. Than he whips out his business card - United Nations!- (I'm thinking to myself : Ok, so aparently I'm supposed to be impressed but this is interesting : A Frenchie working for the UN in Jamaica asking if he could sit at my table, so let's see what he has to say) Now when I think back, I think it was his French accent and not his UN business card that made me agree for him to join me for coffee.


One minute we were talking about work and the pros and cons of traveling and the next he was asking if I have dinner at the hotel. Of course I knew what his next question would be, so I told him I usually have dinner with my friends; indirectly saying "No, I'm not going to have dinner with you". And I have to give him credit, he actually got the subtle let down. He gave a laugh and said (in that nice French accent) "I was about to ask you out for dinner but anyway, how about you give me your business card instead?". Of course, I tactfully said no. French or not, somethings are better to be nipped in the bud.

Later, after he left, I looked at his business card again and something caught my eye. His e-mail address. It was a Yahoo e-mail address. Now, I may be wrong, but wouldn't someone who works for the UN have a UN e-mail address?

So was he really working for the UN, assigned to Jamaica on some important mission? Was he even really French? Or was he just a big fake?

~Anya~

1 comment:

Pink Scalers said...

thank heavens u have a good, sensible head on your shoulders :)
-Margie