Monday 19 August 2013

My Caracas Experience..



Just as I arrived and was settling into this city, I came across this quote..

"When you feel like you cant go any further, just know that the strength which carried you this far will take you rest of the way"

Caught my attention instantly.. it seemed very appropriate..

I digress. What I wanted to write about was this city, Caracas, in Venezuela.

So I have been traveling quite a bit in the last 3 years.. or at least what it seems like.. in fact, I dont think I've even been to 20 countries in total, my whole life.. Not the point, but this trip was special for so many reasons..

My first trip to Latin America.. The furthest I have ever been away from home.. the longest time difference I have ever had.. the country that speaks anything but English.. the country with the weirdest currency.. country with the highest crime rate.. country with window-less taxis.. don't even talk about meters in taxi.. country where you cant do this, you cant do that...

Despite all that.. I survived... and I must say I met the most beautiful people here.. no, not good looking people.. Contrary to popular belief, Venezuelans are not as hot as they seem in beauty pageants. But the nicest, kindest and most friendliest people..
People who would go out of their way to help a stranger.. really.. things that I would never do for people visiting/working in my country.. Some thing that I should learn to do more..

It's funny to think, since the day I arrived, or even before, I was constantly reminded to not trust anyone here..everyone was made to seem to look like a criminal, who's just waiting to rob me anytime.. all I got was kindness, genuineness and maybe some "extra caring love" ;)

I don't know if this city is worth a visit, but it sure was an hell of an experience.. Try saying, people don't wake up in the morning wanting to rob you.. you might just survive! I did ;)

Lilo

p/s: Thank you! The beautiful people of Venezuela, may your kindness be returned to you tenfold!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice piece!

Anonymous said...

That's a first ;)

L

N.e.m.o said...

not a first to the rest, and Lilo, aww i thought you kept meeting the wrong kinds over there ;) didnt get to hear about the +ve stuff that you experience over there. must catch up soon!